Solar Water Splitting
Other Solar Conversion
Carbon-Based Energy Systems
Electrochemistry and Electric Grid
Ultra-High Efficiency Thermophotovoltaic Solar Cells Using Metallic Photonic Crystals as Intermediate Absorber and Emitter
Start Date: September 2008
Shanhui Fan and Peter Peumans, Electrical Engineering, Stanford University; Paul Braun, Material Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- "Arpin, K. A., A. N. Cloud, H. Ning, M. D. Losego, J. Malleck, N. Sergeant, L. Zhu, B. Kalanya, G. N. Parsons, G. S. Girolami, J. R. Abelson, S. Fan, and P. V. Braun. "Modified thermal emission using 3D self-assembled photonic crystals. 2013."
- "Yu, Z., N. Sergeant, T. Skauli, G. Zhang, H. Wang and S. Fan. "Thermal extraction: enhancing thermal emission to far-field vacuum beyond the blackbody limit for macroscopic objects."" Nature Communications (2013)."
- Yu, Zongfu, Nicholas Sergeant, Torbjorn Skauli Gang Zhang, Hailiang Wang, and Shanhui Fan. Thermal extraction: enhancing thermal emission of finite size macroscopic blackbody to far-field vacuum. (2012).
- Losego, M., H. Zhang, A. Gardner, W. P. King, and P. V. Braun. "Nanoindentation as a route to 3D metal nanostructures," (2011).
- Arpin, K. A., M. D. Losego, and P. V. Braun. "Enhancing the thermal stability of electrodeposited tungsten inverse opals," (2011).
- Rephaeli E. and S. Fan. "Absorber and emitter for solar thermo-photovoltaic systems to achieve efficiency exceeding the Shockley-Queisser limit," Optics Express, 17, 17, 15145-15159, (2009).
- Sergeant, N. P., O. Pincon, M. Agrawal, and P. Peumans. "Design of wide-angle solar-selective absorbers using aperiodic metal-dielectric stacks," Optics Express, 17, 25, 22801-22812, (2009).
- Sergeant, N. P., M. Agrawal and P. Peumans. "High performance solar-selective absorbers using sub-wavelength gratings." Optics Express, Vol. 18, No. 6, pp. 5525-5540, (2010).
- S. Fan, Keynote Talk, "Broadband management of light using nanophotonics for solar and thermal applications", International Quantum Electronics Conference (IQEC), May 2013, Munich, Germany.
- Dai, Z., X. Yu, H. Zhang, T. Kim, P.V. Braun and W.P. King. "Photonic Crystal Nickel and Aluminum Oxide Micromechanical Devices Having 3D Inverse Opal Microstructure." 308-311, MEMS 2011, Cancun, Mexico (2011).
- Rephaeli E. and S. Fan. "Nanostructured Tungsten absorber and emitter for solar thermal photovoltaics", OSA Topical Meeting on Solar Energy: New Materials and Nanostructured Devices for High Efficiency, paper STuB, Stanford, CA, 2008.
- S. Fan, Keynote Talk, Nanophotonics for the control of thermal electromagnetic fields, in International Workshop on Nano-Micro Thermal Radiation, May 22, 2012, Hotel Matsushima Taikanso, Sendai, Japan.
- S. Fan, Distinguished Speaker, Nanophotonics for energy and information applications, Department of Electrical and Computational Engineering, Purdue University, December 13, 2012.
- S. Fan, Nanophotonics for solar and thermal applications, Seminar at the School of Photovoltaic and Renewable Energy Engineering, University of New South Whales, Sydney, Australia, February 21, 2012.
- S. Fan, Control near-field and far-field thermal electromagnetic properties with nanophotonic concepts, Gordon Research Conference on Plamonics, Colby College, Waterville, Maine, June 13, 2012.
- S. Fan, Plenary Talk, Nanophotonics: solar and thermal applications, SPIE Smart Nano+Micro Materials and Devices, December 7, 2011, Swinburne University of Technology/Hawthorn Campus, Melbourne, Australia.
- S. Fan, Using nzanophotonic structures to overcome conventional limits in solar energy conversion, German Physical Society Annual Meeting, Dresden, Germany, March 14, 2011.
- S. Fan, Nanophotonics: thermal control and solar cell light trapping, Seminar Series, Solid State Solar Thermal Energy Conversion Center (S3TEC Center), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, May 3, 2011.
- S. Fan, Explorations of photonic nanostructures for thermal and solar applications, Active Photonic Materials IV, SPIE Annual Meeting, San Diego, California, August 23, 2011.
- P. V. Braun, New Absorber and Emitter Designs and High Temperature Materials for Thermophotovoltaics, AIChE 2011 Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN, October 2011.
- S. Fan, Implications of nanophotonics for the limit of thin-film light trapping and for the singlejunction Shockley-Queisser limit, in Optical Nanostructures for Photovoltaics, Advanced Photonics and Renewable Energy: OSA Optics and Photonics Congress 2010, Karsruche,
Germany, June 22, 2010.
- P. V. Braun, New Absorber and Emitter Designs and Materials for Solar Thermophotovoltaics, Advanced Concepts in Semiconductor Materials and Devices for Energy Conversion, Beltsville, MD, December 2010
- P. V. Braun, 3D Photonic Crystals with Embedded Dielectric, Metallic and Emissive Features for Controlling the Generation and Harvesting of Photons, META 10, Cairo, Egypt, February 2010
- P. V. Braun, High Temperature 3D Metallic Photonic Crystals through Interference Lithography and Self-assembly, Materials Research Society Spring Meeting, San Francisco, CA, April 2009.
- P. V. Braun, 3D Composite Structures for Storing, Generating, and Harvesting Photons and Electrons, 11th International Conference on Advanced Materials, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, September 2009.
- S. Fan, Ultra-High Efficiency Thermo-Photovoltaic Cells Using Metallic Photonic Crystals as Intermediate Absorber and Emitter, GCEP Research Symposium: New Directions for Research in a Rapidly Evolving World Energy Landscape, Stanford, California, October 2, 2009.
- Shimizu, R, Duan, S. Taniguchi, I., Kai, T., Kazama, S., Fujioka, Y., Advanced CO2/H2 Separation Materials Incorporating Active Functional Agents, GCEP Res. Symp., 2009.
Updated August 2019