Electrochemistry and Electric Grid
Geologic Storage of CO2 in Coal Beds
Start Date: January 2006
Jerry M. Harris and Mark D. Zoback, Department of Geophysics; Anthony R. Kovscek, and Franklin M. Orr, Jr., Department of Energy Resources Engineering, Stanford University
- Ide, S. T. and F. M. Orr Jr. "Comparison of methods to estimate the rate of CO2 emissions and coal consumption from a coal fire near Durango, CO," Int. J. Coal Geology," 86, 95–107, doi:10.1016/j.coal.2010.12.005 (2011).
- Krevor, S. C. M., Ide, T., Benson, S. M., and F. M. Orr Jr. "Real-time tracking of CO2 injected into a subsurface coal fire through high-frequency measurements of the 13 CO2 signature," Environ. Sci. Technol., 45, 9, 4179–4186, doi:10.1021/es103761x (2011).
- Ide, T. S., N. Crook, and F. M Orr Jr. "Magnetometer measurements to characterize a subsurface coal fire," Int. J. Coal Geology (submitted, June 2011).
- Ide, S. T., D. Pollard, and F. M. Orr Jr. "Fissure formation and subsurface subsidence in a coalbed fire," Int. J. Rock Mech. 47, 81-93, doi:10.1016/j.ijrmms.2009.05.007 (2010).
- Bohnhoff, M., M. Zoback, L. Chiaramonte, J. L. Gerst, and N. Gupta. "Seismic detection of CO2 leakage along monitoring wellbores." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 687-697, doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2010.01.009 (2010).
- Lin, W. "Gas Sorption and the Consequent Volumetric and Permeability Change of Coal" PhD Thesis Energy Resources Engineering Stanford University (2010).
- Sone, H. and M. D. Zoback. "Strength, creep and frictional properties of gas shale reservoir rocks." 44th US Rock Mechanics Symposium and 5th U.S.-Canada Rock Mechanics Symposium (in press 2010)
- Chaturvedi, T, J. M. Schembre, and A. R. Kovscek. "Spontaneous imbibition and wettability characteristics of Powder River Basin coal." International Journal of Coal Geology Vol. 77, No.s 1-2, pp. 34-42, doi:10.1016/j.coal.2008.08.002 (2009).
- Dutta, A., "Multicomponent Gas Diffusion and Adsorption in Coals for Enhanced Methane Recovery" MS Thesis Energy Resources Engineering Stanford University (2009).
- Orr, F.M., Jr. "Carbon capture and storage: Are we ready?" Energy and Environmental Science, doi:10.1039/B822107N (2009).
- Orr, F.M., Jr. "Onshore geologic storage of CO2." Science 325 (2009) 1656-1658, doi:10.1126/science.1175677 (2009).
- Santos, E. T. T., J. M. Harris, A. Bassret, and J. C. Costa. "Trigonal messes in diffraction tomography with optimum regularization: An Application for carbon sequestration monitoring." Journal of Seismic Exploration, Vol. 18, 135-156 (2009).
- Ide, T., D. Pollard, and F. M. Orr. "Fissure formation and subsurface subsidence in a coalbed fire." International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, doi:10.1016/j.ijrmms.2009.05.007 (In press, 2009).
- Jessen, K., G-Q. Tang, and A. R. Kovscek. "Laboratory and simulation investigation of enhanced coalbed methane recovery by gas injection." Transport in Porous Media, Vol. 73, No.s 2, pp. 141-159, doi:10.1007/s11242-007-9165-9 (2008).
- Lin. W., G-Q. Tang, and A. R. Kovscek. "Sorption-induced permeability change of coal during gas-injection processes." SPE Reservoir Engineering and Evaluation, Vol. 11, No.s 4, pp. 792-802, doi:10.2118/109855-PA (2008).
- Lucier, A. and M. D. Zoback. "Assessing economic feasibility or regional deep saline aquifer CO2 injection and sequestration: A geomechanics-based workflow applied to the Rose Run Sandstone in Eastern Ohio, USA." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 230-247, doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2007.12.002 (2008).
- Ross, H., E., and M. D. Zoback. "CO2 sequestration and enhanced coalbed methane recovery in unmineable coalbeds of the Powder River Basin, Wyoming: Reservoir characterization and fluid flow simulations." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control (2008).
- Brown, S., Bussod, G., and Hagin, P., AVO monitoring of CO2 sequestration: A benchtop-modeling study, The Leading Edge, 26, 1576, 2007.
- Chiaramonte, L., Zoback, M., Friedmann, J. and Stamp, V. (2007). Seal Integrity and Feasibility of CO2 Sequestration in the Teapot Dome EOR Pilot: Geomechanical Site Characterization. Environmental Geology, on-line first, doi:10.1007/s00254-007-0948-7, July 2007. Submitted: June 2006.
- Xu, Chuntang, Estimation of effective compressibility and permeability of porous materials with differential acoustic resonance spectroscopy, PhD thesis, Department of Geophysics, Stanford University, 2007
- Spiteri, E.J., Juanes, R., Blunt, M.R., and Orr, F.M.,Jr: Impact of relative permeability hysteresis on geological CO2 storage, Water Resour. Res., 42, W12418, doi:10.1029/2005WR004806, 2006
Updated June 2011
- Sone, H. and M. D. Zoback. "Strength, Creep and Frictional Properties of Gas Shale Reservoir Rocks," 44th US Rock Mechanics Symposium and 5th U.S.-Canada Rock Mechanics Symposium, in press, 2010.
- Hagin, P. and M. D. Zoback. "Laboratory Studies of the Adsorption, Flow, Static and Dynamic Moduli of Low-rank Coal Samples from the Powder River Basin," Wyoming, Stanford Rock and Borehole Geophysics Consortium Annual Meeting, 2009.
- Santos, E. T. F. and J. M. Harris. "DynaSIRT: A Robust Dynamic Imaging Method Applied to CO2 Injection Monitoring," SEG Expanded Abstracts, 2009.
- Vogelaar, B., D. Smeulders, and J. M. Harris, "Experimental Evidence of the Relation Between the Biot-Gassmann Modulus and the Bulk Modulus Measured by DARS of Oil-saturated Rocks," SEG Expanded Abstracts, 2009.
- Arogunmati, A., and J. M. Harris. "An Approach for Quasi-continuous Time-lapse Seismic Monitoring from Sparse Data," Expanded Abstract, SEG Annual Meeting, Houston, submitted, 2009.
- Um, E. and J. M. Harris. "A Finite Element Algorithm for 3D Transient Electromagnetic Modeling," Expanded Abstract, SEG Annual Meeting, Houston, submitted, 2009.
- Hagin, P., and M. Zoback. "Physical Properties of Low-Rank Coal Samples from the Powder River Basin, Wyoming," Coal-Seq VI Forum, April 10-11, 2008.
- Santos, E. T. F., and J. M. Harris. "A Robust Dynamic Imaging Method Applied to CO2 Sequestration Monitoring," SEG Extended Abstracts, DynaSIRT, 2008.
- Chiaramonte, L., M. Zoback, M., Gerst, J. and N. Gupta. "Can Controlled Induced Microseismicity be used to Enhance Permeability in Geological CO2 Sequestration targets?" NETL 6th Annual Conference on Carbon Capture and Sequestration, Pittsburgh, PA, 2007.
- Chiaramonte, L., M. Zoback, J. Friedmann, and V. Stamp. "Fluid Flow Simulation for CO2-EOR and Sequestration Utilizing Geomechanical Constraints - Teapot Dome Oil Field, Wyoming," Accepted AGU Fall Meeting, 2007.
- Chiaramonte, L., A. Lucier, H. Ross, and M. Zoback. "Geomechanics and Seal Integrity for Geologic Sequestration of CO2. Abstracts of the IWCCS-07 Meeting, NGRI, Hyderabad, India, 2007.
- Santos, E. T. F., Harris, J., Bassrei, A., and J. C. Costa. "Regularized Diffraction Tomography for Trigonal Meshes Applied to Reservoir Monitoring," X Congresso Internacional da Sociedade Brasileira de GeofÃsica, Rio de Janeiro, 2007.
- Santos, E. T. F. and J. M. Harris. "Time-lapse diffraction tomography for trigonal meshes with temporal data Integration applied to CO2 sequestration monitoring," SEG Extended Abstracts, 2007.
- Kovscek, A.R., W. Lin, G.-Q. Tang, and K. Jessen. "Laboratory and Simulation Investigation of Gas Adsorption, Transport, and Carbon Sequestration in Coal," U43C-1400 American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA, December 10-14, 2007.
- Lin. W., G.-Q. Tang, and A. R. Kovscek, "Sorption-Induced Permeability Change of Coal During Gas-Injection Processes," SPE-109855, Proceedings of the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Anaheim, CA, November 11 - 14, 2007.
- Jessen, K., G.-Q. Tang, and A. R. Kovscek, "Multicomponent Sorption Modeling in ECBM Displacement Calculations" SPE-110258, Proceedings of the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Anaheim, CA, November 11 - 14, 2007.
- Ross, H., M.. Zoback, M., and P. Hagin. "CO2 Sequestration and Enhanced Coalbed Methane Recovery: Reservoir Characterization and Fluid Flow Simulations of the Powder River Basin, Wyoming," GCEP Research Symposium, October 1-3, 2007.
- Lucier, A., and M. Zoback. "Assessing the GCEP Research Symposium, October 1-3, 2007.
- Chiaramonte, L., M. Zoback, J. Friedmann, and V. Stamp. "Geomechanical Site Characterization to Constrain CO2 Injection Feasibility: Teapot Dome EOR Pilot," International Symposium on Site Characterization for CO2 Geological Storage, Berkeley, CA, March 20-22, 2006.
- Chiaramonte, L., M. Zoback, J. Friedmann, and V. Stamp. "Geomechanical Reservoir Characterization for Prediction of the Likelihood of Faulting Induced by CO2 Sequestration," Eos Trans. AGU, 87 (52), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract T12A-07, 2006.