Electrochemistry and Electric Grid
Rapid Prediction of Subsurface CO2 Movement
Start Date: January 2003
Franklin M. Orr Jr., Professor, Petroleum Engineering, Anthony R. Kovscek, Assistant Professor, Petroleum Engineering, Stanford University
- Riaz, A., Hesse, M., Tchelepi, H. & Orr, F.M., Jr. Onset of Convection in a Gravitationally Unstable, Diffusive Boundary Layer in Porous Media. J. Fluid Mech. 548, 87-111 (2006)
- Jessen, K., Kovscek, A.R., & Orr, F.M., Jr. Increasing CO2 Storage in Oil Recovery. Energy Conv. Manag. 46, 293-311 (2005)
- Kovscek, A.R. & Cakici, M.D. Geologic Storage of Carbon Dioxide and Enhanced Recovery. II. Cooptimization of Storage and Recovery. Energy Conv. Manag. 46, 1941-1956 (2005)
- Orr, F.M., Jr. Storage of Carbon Dioxide in Geologic Formations. J. Pet. Tech. 90-97 (Sept 2004)
- Seto, C.J. Compositional Streamline Simulation: An Application to Gas Injection for Enhanced Condensate Recovery in Condensate Reservoirs. MS Thesis, Stanford University (June 2003)
- Wynn, D. Survey of Geophysical Monitoring Methods for Monitoring CO2 Sequestration in Aquifers. M.S. Thesis, Stanford University (2003)
Updated March 2006
- Hesse, M.A., Tchelepi, H.A., and Orr, F.M., Jr.: "Natural Convection during Aquifer CO2 Storage," Proc. 8th Intl. Conf. on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies, Trondheim, Norway, June 19-22, 2006.
- Ide, S.T., Jessen, K., and Orr, F.M., Jr.: "Time Scales for Migration and Trapping of CO2 in Saline Aquifers," Proc. 8th Intl. Conf. on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies, Trondheim, Norway, June 19-22, 2006.
- Seto, C.J., Jessen, K., and Orr, F.M., Jr: "Analytical Modeling of CO2 storage and Enhanced Coal Bed Methane Recovery," Proc. 8th Intl. Conf. on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies, Trondheim, Norway, June 19-22, 2006.
- Jessen, K. and Orr, F.M. Jr. "Streamline Based Simulation of CO2 Injection in Saline Aquifers," Proc. 16th Intl. Conf. on Computational Methods in Water Resources, Copenhagen, Denmark June 19-22, 2006.
- Tang, G-Q., Jessen, K. and Kovscek, A. R., "Laboratory and Simulation Investigation of Enhanced Coalbed Methane Recovery by Gas Injection", SPE95947, SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition held in Dallas, Texas, U.S.A., 9-14 October 2005.
- Spiteri, E.J., Juanes, R., Blunt, M.R., and Orr, F.M.,Jr: "Relative Permeability Hysteresis: Trapping Models and Application to Geological CO2 Sequestration," SPE 96448, SPE Annual Technical Conference, 2005.
- Orr, F.M., Jr. Energy and Global Change: CO2 Sequestration in the Earth's Crust and Deep Ocean. Society of Petroleum Engineers, Los Angeles Section, December 9, 2003.
- Orr, F.M., Jr., Zoback, M.D. & Kovscek, A.R. Geologic Sequestration of CO2: Storage Mechanisms and Potential for Leaks. MIT Carbon Sequestration Forum, Cambridge, November 6, 2003.
- Seto, C.J., Jessen, K. & Orr, F.M., Jr. Enhanced Condensate Recovery and CO2 Sequestration. IEA Workshop on Enhanced Oil Recovery, Regina, Canada, September 7-10, 2003.
- Orr, F.M., Jr. CO2 Sequestration in the Earth's Crust and Deep Ocean. National Research Council Committee on Alternative Strategies for Future Production and Use of Hydrogen, April 23, 2003.