Energy 101 Tutorials
Electrochemistry & Electric Grid
Carbon-Based Energy Systems > CO2 Storage
Geologic Storage of CO2 in Coal Beds
Ide, S. T. and F. M. Orr Jr. “Comparison of methods to estimate the rate of CO2 emissions and coal consumption from a coal fire near Durango, CO,” Int. J. Coal Geology,” 86, 95–107, doi:10.1016/j.coal.2010.12.005 (2011).
Krevor, S. C. M., Ide, T., Benson, S. M., and F. M. Orr Jr. “Real-time tracking of CO2 injected into a subsurface coal fire through high-frequency measurements of the 13 CO2 signature,” Environ. Sci. Technol., 45, 9, 4179–4186, doi:10.1021/es103761x (2011).
Ide, T. S., N. Crook, and F. M Orr Jr. “Magnetometer measurements to characterize a subsurface coal fire,” Int. J. Coal Geology (submitted, June 2011).
Ide, S. T., D. Pollard, and F. M. Orr Jr. “Fissure formation and subsurface subsidence in a coalbed fire,” Int. J. Rock Mech. 47, 81-93, doi:10.1016/j.ijrmms.2009.05.007 (2010).
- Bohnhoff, M., M. Zoback, L. Chiaramonte, J. L. Gerst, and N. Gupta. “Seismic detection of CO2 leakage along monitoring wellbores.” International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 687-697, doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2010.01.009 (2010).
- Lin, W. “Gas Sorption and the Consequent Volumetric and Permeability Change of Coal” PhD Thesis Energy Resources Engineering Stanford University (2010).
- Sone, H. and M. D. Zoback. “Strength, creep and frictional properties of gas shale reservoir rocks.” 44th US Rock Mechanics Symposium and 5th U.S.-Canada Rock Mechanics Symposium (in press 2010)
- Chaturvedi, T, J. M. Schembre, and A. R. Kovscek. “Spontaneous imbibition and wettability characteristics of Powder River Basin coal.” International Journal of Coal Geology Vol. 77, No.s 1-2, pp. 34-42, doi:10.1016/j.coal.2008.08.002 (2009).
- Dutta, A., “Multicomponent Gas Diffusion and Adsorption in Coals for Enhanced Methane Recovery” MS Thesis Energy Resources Engineering Stanford University (2009).
- Orr, F.M., Jr. “Carbon capture and storage: Are we ready?” Energy and Environmental Science, doi:10.1039/B822107N (2009).
- Orr, F.M., Jr. “Onshore geologic storage of CO2.” Science 325 (2009) 1656-1658, doi:10.1126/science.1175677 (2009).
- Santos, E. T. T., J. M. Harris, A. Bassret, and J. C. Costa. “Trigonal messes in diffraction tomography with optimum regularization: An Application for carbon sequestration monitoring.” Journal of Seismic Exploration, Vol. 18, 135-156 (2009).
- Ide, T., D. Pollard, and F. M. Orr. “Fissure formation and subsurface subsidence in a coalbed fire.” International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, doi:10.1016/j.ijrmms.2009.05.007 (In press, 2009).
- Jessen, K., G-Q. Tang, and A. R. Kovscek. “Laboratory and simulation investigation of enhanced coalbed methane recovery by gas injection.” Transport in Porous Media, Vol. 73, No.s 2, pp. 141-159, doi:10.1007/s11242-007-9165-9 (2008).
- Lin. W., G-Q. Tang, and A. R. Kovscek. “Sorption-induced permeability change of coal during gas-injection processes.” SPE Reservoir Engineering and Evaluation, Vol. 11, No.s 4, pp. 792-802, doi:10.2118/109855-PA (2008).
- Lucier, A. and M. D. Zoback. “Assessing economic feasibility or regional deep saline aquifer CO2 injection and sequestration: A geomechanics-based workflow applied to the Rose Run Sandstone in Eastern Ohio, USA.” International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 230-247, doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2007.12.002 (2008).
- Ross, H., E., and M. D. Zoback. “CO2 sequestration and enhanced coalbed methane recovery in unmineable coalbeds of the Powder River Basin, Wyoming: Reservoir characterization and fluid flow simulations.” International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control (2008).
- Brown, S., Bussod, G., and Hagin, P., AVO monitoring of CO2 sequestration: A benchtop-modeling study, The Leading Edge, 26, 1576, 2007.
- Chiaramonte, L., Zoback, M., Friedmann, J. and Stamp, V. (2007). Seal Integrity and Feasibility of CO2 Sequestration in the Teapot Dome EOR Pilot: Geomechanical Site Characterization.
- Environmental Geology, on-line first, doi:10.1007/s00254-007-0948-7, July 2007. Submitted: June 2006.
- Xu, Chuntang, Estimation of effective compressibility and permeability of porous materials with differential acoustic resonance spectroscopy, PhD thesis, Department of Geophysics, Stanford University, 2007
Spiteri, E.J., Juanes, R., Blunt, M.R., and Orr, F.M.,Jr: Impact of relative permeability hysteresis on geological CO2 storage, Water Resour. Res., 42, W12418, doi:10.1029/2005WR004806, 2006