A Numerical Simulation Framework for CO2 Sequestration
Assessing Seal Capacity of Exploited Oil and Gas Reservoirs, Aquifers, and Coal Beds for Potential Use in CO2 Sequestration
- H. Zhou and H.A. Tchelepi. Operator based multiscale method for compressible flow (also SPE 106254) SPE Journal, June 2008.
- Hesse. M. A., Orr Jr., F. M., and H. A. Tchelepi (2008) Gravity Currents with Residual Trapping, accepted for publication J. Fluid Mech.
- M. A. Hesse, H. A. Tchelepi, B. J. Cantwell, and F. M. Orr, Jr. Gravity currents in horizontal porous layers: Transition from early to late self-similarity. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 577, 2007
- A. Riaz and H. A. Tchelepi. Stability of two-phase vertical flow in homogeneous porous media. Physics of Fluids 19, 072103, (2007).
- Y. Fan. Development of CO2 modeling capabilities in Stanford General Purpose Reservoir Simulator, M.S Thesis, June 2006.
- H. Zhou. Multiscale modeling of compressible multiphase flow in heterogenous porous media, M.S report, Stanford University (June 2006).
- A. Riaz, H. Hesse, H. A. Tchelepi, and F. M. Orr, Jr. Onset of convection in a gravitationally unstable diffusive boundary layer in porous media. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 548:87, 2006.
- Riaz, A., & Tchelepi, H. A. A Numerical Simulation of Immiscible Two-Phase Flow in Porous Media. Phys. Fluids 18, 014104 (2006)
- ARiaz, A. and H. A. Tchelepi. “Dynamics of vertical displacement in porous media associated with CO2 sequestration.” SPE Journal, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 305–313, doi:10.2118/103169-PA (2008).
- Tyagi, M., P. Jenny, I. Lunati, and H. A. Tchelepi. “A lagrangian, stochastic modeling framework for multiphase flow in porous media.” Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 227, No. 13, pp. 6696-6714, doi:10.1016/j.jcp.2008.03.030 (2008).
Collaborative Research on Carbon Sequestration in Saline Aquifers in China
Experimental Investigations of Multiphase Flow and Trapping of CO2 in Saline Aquifers
Javaheri, M. and K. Jessen. “Integration of counter-current relative permeability in the simulation of CO2 injection into saline aquifers,” International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control (accepted, March 2011).
Jahangiri, H. R. and D. Zhang. “Ensemble based co-optimization of carbon dioxide sequestration and enhanced oil recovery,” International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control (under review, 2011).
- Omambia, A. N., Y. Li, and W. Zhang. “Numerical simulation of carbon dioxide injection in Wangchang Oilfield - Jianghan Basin, China.” Journal of American Science (accepted, 2010).
- Jiang, Y., L. Li, W. Zhang, and G. B. Qiu. “Numerical Simulation of Potential Effects of CO2Leakage on Shallow Potable Aquifers.” Managing Groundwater and the Environment, IAHS Red Book publication (accepted, 2010).
- Zhang, W., Y. Li, T. Xu, et al. “Numerical simulation on effects of convective mixing on long term CO2 geological storage in deep saline formations.” Environmental Earth Science (revised paper submitted, 2010).
- Chen, C. and D. Zhang. “Pore-scale simulation of density-driven convection in fractured porous media during geological CO2 sequestration.” Water Resources Research (under review, 2010).
- Chen, C. and D. Zhang. “Lattice Boltzmann simulation of the rise and dissolution of two-dimensional immiscible droplets.” Physics of Fluids, 21, 103301, doi:10.1063/1.3253385 (2009).
Geologic Storage of CO2 in Coal Beds
- Esposito, A. and S. M. Benson (2012). "Evaluation and Development of Options for Remediation of Leakage into Groundwater Aquifers from CO2 Storage Reservoirs", International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, V7, p. 62-72.
- Krevor, S. C. M., R. Pini, L. Zuo, and S. M. Benson (2012). "Relative permeability and trapping of CO2 and water in sandstone rocks at reservoir conditions", Water Resour. Res., 48, W02532, doi:10.1029/2011WR010859. "
- Krevor, S. C. M., T. Ide, S. M., Benson, and F. M. Orr Jr. (2011). "Real-time tracking of CO2 injected into a subsurface coal fire through high-frequency measurements of the 13CO2 signature." Environmental Science & Technology, 45(9), 4179-4186.
- Krevor, S. C. M., R. Pini, B. Li, and S. M. Benson (2011). "Capillary heterogeneity trapping of CO2 in a sandstone rock at reservoir conditions", Geophys. Res. Lett., 38, L15401, doi:10.1029/2011GL048239 (2012). "
- Pini, R., S. C. R. Krevor, and S. M. Benson. "Capillary pressure and heterogeneity for the CO2 water system in sandstone rocks at reservoir conditions." Advances in Water Resources, 38, (2012): 48-59.
- Zuo, L., S. Krevor, R. W. Falta, and S. M. Benson. "An Experimental Study of CO2 Exsolution and Relative Permeability Measurements During CO2 Saturated Water Depressurization." Transport in porous media 91, no. 2 (2012): 459-478.
- Krevor, S. C. M., R. Pini, L. Zuo, and S. M. Benson. “Multiphase flow properties of CO2 and water in sandstone rocks at reservoir conditions,” (in preparation, 2011).
Krevor, S. C. M., T. Ide, S. M. Benson, and F. M. Orr. “Real-time tracking of CO2 injected into a subsurface coal fire through high-frequency measurements of the 13 CO2 signature,” Environmental Science and Technology, doi:10.1021/es103761x (in press, 2011).
Perrin, J.-C., R. W. Falta, S. C. M. Krevor, L. Zuo, K. Ellison, and S. M. Benson. “Laboratory experiments on core-scale behavior of CO2 exsolved from CO2-saturated brine,” Energy Procedia, 4, 3210-3215, doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2011.02.237 (2011).
Kuo, C-W, J-C. Perrin, and S. Benson. “Simulation studies of effect of flow rate and small scale heterogeneity on multiphase flow of CO2 and brine,” Energy Procedia, 4, 4516-4523, doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2011.02.408 (2011).
- Krevor, S., J-C. Perrin, A. Esposito, C. Rella, and S. Benson. “Rapid detection and characterization of surface CO2 leakage through the realtime measurement of d13C signatures in CO2 flux from the ground.” International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control (Accepted, 2010).
- Perrin, J-C. and S. M. Benson. “An experimental study on the influence of sub-core scale heterogeneities on CO2 distribution in reservoir rocks.” Transport in Porous Media, Vol. 82, No. 1, pp. 93-109, doi:10.1007/s11242-009-9426-x (2010).
- Chabora, E. R. and S. M. Benson. “Brine displacement and leakage detection using pressure measurements in aquifers overlying CO2.” Energy Procedia, Vol.1, No. 1, pp. 2405-2412, doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2009.01.313 (2009).
- Krause, M., J-C. Perrin, C-W. Kuo, and S. M. Benson. “Characterization of CO2 storage properties using core analysis techniques and thin section data.” Energy Procedia, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 2969-2974, doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2009.02.073 (2009).
- Perrin, J-C., M. Krause, C-W. Kuo, L. Miljkovic, E. Chabora, and S. M. Benson. “Core-scale experimental study of relative permeability properties of CO2 and brine in reservoir rocks.” Energy Procedia, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp 3515-3522, doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2009.02.144 (2009).
- Perrin, J-C. and S. M. Benson. “An experimental study on the influence of sub-core scale heterogeneities on CO2 distribution in reservoir rocks.” Transport in Porous Media, (accepted, 2009).
- Sassoon, R. E., W. A. Hermann, I-C. Hsiao, L. Milkovic, A. J. Simon, and S. M. Benson. “Quantifying the flow of exergy and carbon through the natural and human systems.” In: Materials for Renewable Energy at the Society and Technology Nexus, edited by Reuben T. Collins (Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Volume 1170E, Warrendale, PA, 1170-R01-03 (2009).
- Benson S. M. and D. R. Cole. “CO2 sequestration in deep sedimentary formations.” Elements, Vol. 4, pp. 325-331, doi:10.2113/gselements.4.5.325 (2008).
- Benson S. M. and F. M. Orr, Jr. “Carbon Dioxide Capture and Storage.” MRS Bulletin, Vol. 33, pp. 303-305 (2008).
- Cortis, A., C. M. Oldenburg, and S. M. Benson. “The role of optimality in characterizing CO2 seepage from geologic carbon sequestration sites.” International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Vol. 2, Issue 4, Pages 640-652, ISSN 1750-5836, doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2008.04.008 (2008).
- Jordan P. and S. M. Benson. “Well blowout rates and consequences in California oil and Gas District 4 from 1991 to 2005: Implications for geological storage of carbon dioxide.” Environmental Geology, doi:10.1007/s00254-008-1403-0 (2008).
- Silin, D., T. W. Patzek, and S. M. Benson. “A one-dimensional model of vertical gas plume migration through a heterogeneous porous medium.” International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, ISSN 1750-5836, doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2008.09.003 (2008).
- D. Silin, T. Patzek, and S. M. Benson. “A model of buoyancy-driven two-phase countercurrent fluid flow.” Transport in Porous Media, Vol. 76, No. 3, pp. 449–469, doi:10.1007/s11242-008-9257-1 (2009).
- Silin, D., T. Patzek, and S. M. Benson. “A model of buoyant gas plume migration.” Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control (in press, 2008).
Geophysical Monitoring of Geologic Sequestration
Ide, S. T. and F. M. Orr Jr. “Comparison of methods to estimate the rate of CO2 emissions and coal consumption from a coal fire near Durango, CO,” Int. J. Coal Geology,” 86, 95–107, doi:10.1016/j.coal.2010.12.005 (2011).
Krevor, S. C. M., Ide, T., Benson, S. M., and F. M. Orr Jr. “Real-time tracking of CO2 injected into a subsurface coal fire through high-frequency measurements of the 13 CO2 signature,” Environ. Sci. Technol., 45, 9, 4179–4186, doi:10.1021/es103761x (2011).
Ide, T. S., N. Crook, and F. M Orr Jr. “Magnetometer measurements to characterize a subsurface coal fire,” Int. J. Coal Geology (submitted, June 2011).
Ide, S. T., D. Pollard, and F. M. Orr Jr. “Fissure formation and subsurface subsidence in a coalbed fire,” Int. J. Rock Mech. 47, 81-93, doi:10.1016/j.ijrmms.2009.05.007 (2010).
- Bohnhoff, M., M. Zoback, L. Chiaramonte, J. L. Gerst, and N. Gupta. “Seismic detection of CO2 leakage along monitoring wellbores.” International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 687-697, doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2010.01.009 (2010).
- Lin, W. “Gas Sorption and the Consequent Volumetric and Permeability Change of Coal” PhD Thesis Energy Resources Engineering Stanford University (2010).
- Sone, H. and M. D. Zoback. “Strength, creep and frictional properties of gas shale reservoir rocks.” 44th US Rock Mechanics Symposium and 5th U.S.-Canada Rock Mechanics Symposium (in press 2010)
- Chaturvedi, T, J. M. Schembre, and A. R. Kovscek. “Spontaneous imbibition and wettability characteristics of Powder River Basin coal.” International Journal of Coal Geology Vol. 77, No.s 1-2, pp. 34-42, doi:10.1016/j.coal.2008.08.002 (2009).
- Dutta, A., “Multicomponent Gas Diffusion and Adsorption in Coals for Enhanced Methane Recovery” MS Thesis Energy Resources Engineering Stanford University (2009).
- Orr, F.M., Jr. “Carbon capture and storage: Are we ready?” Energy and Environmental Science, doi:10.1039/B822107N (2009).
- Orr, F.M., Jr. “Onshore geologic storage of CO2.” Science 325 (2009) 1656-1658, doi:10.1126/science.1175677 (2009).
- Santos, E. T. T., J. M. Harris, A. Bassret, and J. C. Costa. “Trigonal messes in diffraction tomography with optimum regularization: An Application for carbon sequestration monitoring.” Journal of Seismic Exploration, Vol. 18, 135-156 (2009).
- Ide, T., D. Pollard, and F. M. Orr. “Fissure formation and subsurface subsidence in a coalbed fire.” International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, doi:10.1016/j.ijrmms.2009.05.007 (In press, 2009).
- Jessen, K., G-Q. Tang, and A. R. Kovscek. “Laboratory and simulation investigation of enhanced coalbed methane recovery by gas injection.” Transport in Porous Media, Vol. 73, No.s 2, pp. 141-159, doi:10.1007/s11242-007-9165-9 (2008).
- Lin. W., G-Q. Tang, and A. R. Kovscek. “Sorption-induced permeability change of coal during gas-injection processes.” SPE Reservoir Engineering and Evaluation, Vol. 11, No.s 4, pp. 792-802, doi:10.2118/109855-PA (2008).
- Lucier, A. and M. D. Zoback. “Assessing economic feasibility or regional deep saline aquifer CO2 injection and sequestration: A geomechanics-based workflow applied to the Rose Run Sandstone in Eastern Ohio, USA.” International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 230-247, doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2007.12.002 (2008).
- Ross, H., E., and M. D. Zoback. “CO2 sequestration and enhanced coalbed methane recovery in unmineable coalbeds of the Powder River Basin, Wyoming: Reservoir characterization and fluid flow simulations.” International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control (2008).
- Brown, S., Bussod, G., and Hagin, P., AVO monitoring of CO2 sequestration: A benchtop-modeling study, The Leading Edge, 26, 1576, 2007.
- Chiaramonte, L., Zoback, M., Friedmann, J. and Stamp, V. (2007). Seal Integrity and Feasibility of CO2 Sequestration in the Teapot Dome EOR Pilot: Geomechanical Site Characterization.
- Environmental Geology, on-line first, doi:10.1007/s00254-007-0948-7, July 2007. Submitted: June 2006.
- Xu, Chuntang, Estimation of effective compressibility and permeability of porous materials with differential acoustic resonance spectroscopy, PhD thesis, Department of Geophysics, Stanford University, 2007
Spiteri, E.J., Juanes, R., Blunt, M.R., and Orr, F.M.,Jr: Impact of relative permeability hysteresis on geological CO2 storage, Water Resour. Res., 42, W12418, doi:10.1029/2005WR004806, 2006
Rapid Prediction of CO2 Movement in Aquifers, Coal Beds, and Oil and Gas Reservoirs
- Xu, C. “Estimation of effective compressibility and permeability of porous materials with differential acoustic resonance spectroscopy.” PhD thesis, Dept. of Geophysics, Stanford University (2007).
- Wu, Chunling, J.M. Harris, K.T. Nihei, and S. Nakagawa, Two-dimensional finite difference seismic modeling of an open fluid-filled fracture: Comparison of thin-layer and linear-slip models, Geophysics, Vol. 70, No. 4, pp. T57-T62, 2005
Harris, J. M. and Akintunde, M., Time-lapse monitoring of coalbed natural gas production: A case study from the Powder River basin, Wyoming Geological Survey, Rpt of Investigations No. 55, pp 109-125, 2005
Wu, Chunling, Efficient seismic modeling in multi-scale heterogeneous media. PhD Thesis, Department of Geophysics, Stanford University, 2005
Wu, Chunling, Jerry M. Harris, An optimized variable-grid finite-difference method for seismic forward modeling, Journal of Seismic Exploration, Vol. 12, 343-353, 2004
- Wynn, D. “Geophysical Monitoring of Geologic Sequestration in Aquifers and Depleted Oil and Gas Fields.” MS thesis, Dept. of Geophysics, Stanford University (2003).
Lucier, A., Zoback, M.D., Gupta, N., & Ramakrishnan, T.S. Geomechanical Aspects of CO2 Sequestration in a Deep
Saline Reservoir in the Ohio River Valley Region. Environmental
Geosciences 13:2, 85-103 (2006)
Riaz, A., Hesse, M., Tchelepi, H. A., & Orr, F.M., Jr. Onset of Convection in a Gravitationally Unstable, Diffusive Boundary Layer in Porous Media. J. Fluid Mech. 548, 87-111 (2006)
Jessen, K., Kovscek, A.R., & Orr, F.M., Jr. Increasing CO2 Storage in Oil Recovery. Energy Conv. Manag. 46, 293-311 (2005)
Kovscek, A.R. & Cakici, M.D. Geologic Storage of Carbon Dioxide and Enhanced Recovery. II. Cooptimization of Storage and Recovery. Energy Conv. Manag. 46, 1941-1956 (2005)
Orr, F.M., Jr. Storage of Carbon Dioxide in Geologic Formations. J. Pet. Tech. 90-97 (Sept 2004)
Seto, C.J. Compositional Streamline Simulation: An Application to Gas Injection for Enhanced Condensate Recovery in Condensate Reservoirs. MS Thesis, Stanford University (June 2003)
Wynn, D. Survey of Geophysical Monitoring Methods for Monitoring CO2 Sequestration in Aquifers. M.S. Thesis, Stanford University (2003)