Advanced Materials and Catalysts
Electrocatalysis with Discrete Transition Metal Complexes
The Electron Economy: Oxidation Catalysis for Energy Management
- McCrory, C. C. L., X. Ottenwaelder, T. D. P. Stack, C. E. D Chidsey. “Kinetic and mechanistic studies of the electrocatalytic reduction of O2 to H2O with mononuclear Cu complexes of substituted 1,10-phenanthrolines.” Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 111, pp. 12641-12650, doi:10.1021/jp076106z (2007).
- Conley, N. R.; Labois, L.A.; Pearson, D.M.; McCrory, C.; Waymouth, R.M. “Aerobic Alcohol Oxidation with Cationic Palladium Complexes: Insights into Catalyst Design and Decomposition”, Organometallics 2007, 26, 5447-5453.
Metal Oxide Nanotubes and Photo-Excitation Effects: New Approaches for Low-to-Intermediate Temperature Solid Oxide Fuel Cells
Pearson, D. M., N. R. Conley, and R. M. Waymouth. “Oxidatively resistant ligands for palladium-catalyzed aerobic alcohol oxidation,” Organometallics, 30, 1445, doi:10.1021/om101037k (2011).
Painter, R. M., D. M. Pearson, and R. M. Waymouth, “Selective catalytic oxidation of glycerol to dihydroxyacetone,” Angew. Chem., Int. Ed., 49, 9456-9459 doi:10.1002/anie.201004063 (2010).
Pearson, D. M., N. R. Conley, and R. M. Waymouth. “Palladium-catalyzed carbonylation of diols to cyclic carbonates,” Adv. Synth. Cat. (submitted for publication, 2011).
- McCrory, C. C. L., A. Devadoss, X. Ottenwaelder, R. D. Lowe, T. D. P. Stack, and C. E. D. Chidsey. “Electrocatalytic O2 reduction by covalently immobilized mononuclear copper (I) complexes: Evidence for a binuclear Cu2O2 intermediate,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 133, 3696-3699, doi:10.1021/ja106338h (2011).
- Lowe, R. D., M. A. Pellow, T. D. P. Stack, and C. E. D Chidsey. “Deposition of dense siloxane monolayers from water and trimethoxyorganosilane vapor,” Langmuir (submitted for publication, 2011).
- Pearson, D. M. and R. M. Waymouth. “Mechanistic studies of the oxidative dehydrogenation of methanol using a cationic Pd complex.” Organometallics, 28 (13), 3896-3900, doi:10.1021/om900217s (2009).
- Nakazawa, J. and T. D. P. Stack. “Controlled loadings in a mesoporous material: Click-on silica.” J. Am. Chem. Soc., Vol. 130, No. 44, pp. 14360-14365, doi:10.1021/ja804237b (2008).
- McCrory, C. C. L., X. Ottenwaelder, T. D. P. Stack, and C. E. D. Chidsey. ” Kinetic and mechanistic studies of the electrocatalytic reduction of O2 to H2O with mononuclear Cu complexes of substituted 1, 10-phenanthrolines.” J. Phys. Chem. A Vol. 111, No. 49, 12641-12650, doi:10.1021/jp076106z (2007).
- Conley, N. R., L. A. Labois, D. M. Pearson, D. M., C. McCrory, and R. M. Waymouth. “Aerobic alcohol oxidation with cationic palladium complexes: Insights into catalyst design and decomposition.” Organometallics, Vol. 26, No. 23, pp. 5447-5453, doi:10.1021/om700492n (2007).
- Okamoto, M. L. Senatore, M. M. Ling, A. B. Mallik, M. L. Tang, and Z. Bao. “Synthesis, characterization, and field-effect transistor performance of pentacene derivatives.” Advanced Materials, 19, No. 20, pp. 3381-3384, doi:10.1002/adma.200700298 (2007).
- Okamoto, M. L. and Z. Bao. “Synthesis of Solution-Soluble Pentacene-Containing Conjugated Copolymers.” American Chemical Society, Vol. 129, No. 34, pp. 10308-10309, doi:10.1021/ja0725403 (2007).
- Sista, S., Y. Yao, Y. Yang, M. L. Tang, and Z. Bao. “Enhancement in open circuit voltage through a cascade-type energy band structure.” Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 91, No. 2, 223508, doi:10.1063/1.2817935 (2007).
- Mayer, A. C., S. R. Scully, B. E. Hardin, M. W. Rowell, and M. D. McGehee. “Polymer-based solar cells.” Materials Today, Vol. 10, No. 11, pp. 28-33, doi:10.1016/S1369-7021(07)70276-6 (2007).
- Scully, S. R., P. B. Armstrong, C. Edder, J. M .J. Frechet, and M. D. McGehee. “Long-range resonant energy transfer for enhanced exciton harvesting for organic solar cells.” Advanced Materials, Vol. 19, No. 19, pp. 2961-2966, doi:10.1002/adma.200700917 (2007).
- Scully, S. R. and M. D. McGehee. “Effects of optical interference and energy transfer on exciton diffusion length measurements in organic semiconductors.” Applied Physics, Vol. 100, No. 3, 034907, doi:10.1063/1.2226687 (2006).
Nanoscale Architectural Engineering for High Performance Solid Oxide Fuel Cells
- Shandalov, M. and P.C. McIntyre, “Size-dependent polymorphism in HfO2 nanotubes and nanoscale thin films.” Journal of Applied Physics, 106 (8), 084322-084322-5 doi:10.1063/1.3243077 (2009).
- Tsuchiya, M., V. Shutthandan, M. Engelhard, and S. Ramanathan. “Direct measurement of oxygen incorporation into thin film oxides at room temperature under photon irradiation.” Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 93, 263109, doi:10.1063/1.3058691(2008)
- Karthikeyan, A., M. Tsuchiya, and S. Ramanathan. “Apatite-phase synthesis from interdiffusion in doped CeO2-SiO2 thin film superlattices and in-situ conductivity studies.” Electrochemical and Solid State Letters, Vol. 11, K101 (2008).
- Tsuchiya M. and S. Ramanathan. “Enhanced grain growth in yttria-doped zirconia thin film structures under photon irradiation.” Philosophical Magazine Letters, Vol. 88, No. 8, pp. 583-590, doi:10.1080/09500830802322178 (2008).
- Tsuchiya M. and S. Ramanathan. “Ultra-thin Y-doped zirconia membranes synthesized under photon irradiation: Structure evolution and high temperature electrochemical transport studies.” Electrochemical Society Transactions, Vol. 11, 9 (2008).
- Synthesis and interfacial phenomena in ultra-thin ytrria-doped zirconia films grown by alloy oxidation under photon irradiation, M. Tsuchiya and S. Ramanathan, Applied Physics Letters, 92, 033107 (2008)
- Effect of photon irradiation on structure of yttria-doped zirconia thin films grown on semiconductor substrates, M. Tsuchiya and S. Ramanathan, Applied Physics Letters, 91, 253104 (2007)
Nature-Inspired Solid-State Electrocatalysts: The Oxidation of Water and the Reduction of CO2 to Fuels
Cuicci, F., W. C. Chueh, D. G. Goodwin, and S. M. Haile. “Surface reaction and transport in mixed conductors with electrochemically-active surfaces: A 2-D numerical study of ceria,” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 13, 2121-2135, doi:10.1039/C0CP01219J (2011).
Chueh, W. C., Y. Hao, and S. M. Haile. “High electrochemical activity of the oxide phase in model Ceria-Pt and Ceria-Ni composite anodes,” (submitted, 2011).
Usiskin, R. E., R. Wang, and S. M. Haile. “Electronic behavior of Ba0.5Sr0.5Co0.8Fe0.2O3-δ and SrCo0.9Nb0.1O3-δ,” (submitted, 2011).
- E. C. Brown, S. K. Wilke, D. A. Boyd, D. G. Goodwin and S. M. Haile. “Polymer sphere lithography for solid oxide fuel cells: A route to functional, well-defined electrode structures.” J. Mat. Chem., 20, 2190-2196, doi:10.1039/b920973e (2010).
- W. C. Chueh and S. M. Haile. “Electrochemical studies of capacitance in cerium oxide thin films and its relationship to anionic and electronic defect densities.” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 11 (37), 8144 – 8148, doi:10.1039/b910903j (2009).
- Kuhl, K. P., E. R. Cave, D. N. Abram, and T. F. Jaramillo. "New insights into the electrochemical reduction of carbon dioxide on metallic copper surfaces." Energy & Environmental Science, 5, 7050-7059 (2012).
- Ng J, Y. Gorlin, and T. Jaramillo. "Nanostructured particles of manganese oxide for ORR in alkalinebased fuel cells" (in preparation, 2012).
- Cave, E. R, K. P. Kuhl, D. N. Abram, and T. F. Jaramillo. "Electrochemical Reduction of Carbon Dioxide on Gold", (in preparation, 2012).
- Abram, D.N.; K. P. Kuhl, E. R. Cave, and T. F. Jaramillo. "Electrochemical Reduction of CO2 on Platinum and Polyaniline-Coated Platinum and Modification of Product Distribution" (in preparation, 2012).